Mentees are current Kellogg students and are looking for guidance as they navigate their career. Mentees are passionate about growing professionally, learning new skills, navigating their career path, and expanding their professional networks to give them a competitive advantage in the workplace.
What is Expected of Mentees?
- Drive the relationship. Be the first to make contact with your mentor, respond to all communications in a timely manner, and take the initiative to set up consistent meetings. One tip is to always end each meeting “when should we meet next?” so that you can get a date on the calendar after comparing both of your schedules.
- Set your relationship expectations right away about when and how you will connect with your mentor.
- Agree and commit to the expectations and goals you set with your mentor.
- Be receptive to suggestions and feedback from you mentor.
- Approach your mentoring relationship with respect, professionalism and an open mind.
- Keep your goals and those of your mentor in mind during every interaction. Remind yourself, what goals did we set out to accomplish? This will help you keep track of your progress and help lead toward a successful mentoring relationship.
- Be mindful of when the relationship has reached its natural end; if all of the goals you set have been achieved then it may be time to find another mentor to tackle another set of goals. If you both would like to, you can continue to meet (though likely with less frequency) or you can simply thank them and move on to start another mentorship relationship. We do strongly encourage you to stay in touch with your mentor and keep them updated on your progress as you move through your career. Some mentoring matches can be lifelong!
- Send your feedback and suggestions for improvement periodically to email@example.com. As this is a new and developing program, we would greatly appreciate your candid feedback.