The Northwestern Externship Program (NEXT) is a one-day shadowing program offering current Northwestern students the opportunity to accompany alumni on the job in order to learn more about different professional fields. Students spend time observing and often working alongside their alumni hosts in order to gain insight into the practical aspects of potential careers. With an increased focus on providing students with mentorship and career development opportunities, NEXT is a wonderful program connecting current Northwestern undergraduate and graduate students with our global alumni community.
NEXT is an annual program, with alumni registration taking place December - January and the student application process open January - February. Most externships are held March - April each year.
NEXT registration is simple and convenient, as the process is also coordinated with the Mentorship Program:
- Alumni registration for this year's program is now closed.
- Alumni who have registered for NEXT will receive more information via email on February 13 after student registration closes.
- If you were unable to host a student this year but you are interested in participating in the future, please fill out this interest form
- If you registered for NEXT 2015 or 2016, your information has already been added to the system. Please note that you will still need to login to access, review, and register the externship for this year's program.
- Please keep in mind that it takes 1 to 2 business days for the NAA to approve your account before you can start searching for externships.
- Please submit your applications by Sunday, February 12.
- If you're already a member of the Mentorship Program you may log in and begin applying for externships within the NEXT space.