Alumni registration for NEXT 2021 is now closed. Registration for next year's program will open in October 2021.
Once alumni host registration concludes, students will be able to browse available virtual externships and apply. You will be notified once the application process is complete and will then have the opportunity to rank the student extern applications you have received for this year's program.
If matched, the selected student will contact you by mid-January to set a date for the virtual visit. The externship should take place between the time of the match and the end of March 2021. Please note that there is no guarantee that we will be able to match all alumni and students who participate in the program.
NEXT 2021 Timeline:
- Alumni host registration: October 20, 2020 - November 12, 2020
- Student application process: November 16, 2020 - December 1, 2020
- Host ranking process: December 8, 2020 - December 21, 2020
- Alumni and student matches announced: Week of January 4, 2020
The NEXT 2021 program will be conducted completely virtually for the safety of all participants given the circumstances of the pandemic. We thank you for your interest in supporting student's career development as they explore and continue to think about what's next after their time at Northwestern. Below are guidelines for what this year's program will look like and what students will expect.
- Virtual visit will start as a meeting with you as the host to learn about your career path, industry and role overview, your time at Northwestern, etc.
- Within the same day or week, additional opportunities should be scheduled for the student(s) to learn more about your role, company, industry, and more.
- One-on-one or small group virtual meeting with colleague(s) from your team
- One-on-one or small group virtual meeting with colleague(s) from another team
- Sitting in on a virtual group meeting
- Resume review with you
- Virtual office tour (if you're working out of the home)
- Meeting with someone from your HR department
- Or something that might be unique to your industry that isn't listed above
- Here are a few sample itineraries of what your externship could look like
Interested in learning more about the NEXT program?
For more information, please refer to our Resources.
Alumni questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-491-5648.