What is Expected of Mentors?
We purposefully have designed this program to be flexible for alumni. We know that you are busy and have many personal and professional commitments. You and your mentee have complete control over your mentorship relationship and can decide how you want the relationship to work.
However, we do have a few minimal expectations:
- Set your relationship expectations right away about when and how you will connect with your mentee (see the Mentorship Agreement Form to help guide that conversation). Note that one meeting is required (either in person or via phone or video chat) and a typical number of meetings is 3-6.
- Approach your mentorship relationship with respect, professionalism, and an open mind.
- Respond to communications from your mentee in a timely manner.
- Listen and ask open-ended questions, which will assist your mentee in thinking about their Northwestern direction.
- Send your feedback and suggestions for improvement periodically to firstname.lastname@example.org. As this is a new and developing program, we’d greatly appreciate your candid feedback.
- Tell your classmates and members of your Northwestern network about your experiences! As a growing program, we rely on word of mouth referrals to promote the program.
“As my Northwestern Network has expanded, I have found the value of the network to be of increased significance both professionally and personally, as I develop my career. When I meet someone from Northwestern, there is an instant connection that bonds us together.”
~ Sharon Brooks ’08